Here’s an overview of our past travels for the last several years, in reverse chronological order:
2010-07-04 – 2010-08-01
New Hampshire, China, Hong Kong, and Macau
- All of us went to New Hampshire to visit with family, but then had mostly separate vacations.
- – Krystyana spent three weeks in mainland China as part of a National Geographic Student Expedition.
- – Jake and Linda spent two weeks traveling – first Los Angeles, then Hong Kong and Macau.
- – Bas spent a couple of weeks in computer gaming camp in Massachusetts.
2010-05-15 – 2010-05-22
New York City
- Krystyana and Jake visited for a conference on art licensing, and then enjoyed a number of great meals at places like Momofuku ko and wd-50.
2010-02-05 – 2010-03-13
Chile, Argentina, Antarctica, the Sub-Antarctic, and
Easter Island Miami:
- February 5, 2010 – Flew from Bonaire to Aruba (a whopping 80 miles but more difficult than most of our other flights on this trip!)
- February 6 – Flew from Aruba to Santiago, Chile, arriving Feb. 7.
- February 7-8 – Explored Santiago
- February 9-10 – Explored Valparaiso and Vina del Mar, Chile. Back to Santiago on February 10th.
- February 11 – Flew to Ushuaia, Argentina with our group, lunch on a catamaran in the Beagle Channel, departed on the National Geographic Explorer.
- February 12-13 – At sea – crossing the tumultuous Drake Passage
- February 14-16 – Exploring the Antarctic Peninsula
- Feburary 17 – Deception Island and King George Island
- Feburary 18 – Elephant Island
- Feburary 19 – Coronation Island in the South Orkney Islands
- February 20 – At sea – watching icebergs
- February 21-26 – The island of South Georgia
- February 27-28 – At sea – lots of sea birds
- March 1 – Port Stanley, Falkland Islands
- March 2 – Carcass and New Islands in the West Falklands
- March 3 – At sea most of day, arrive in Ushuaia
- March 4-6 – Original plan was to disembark at Ushuaia, fly back to Santiago and then to Easter Island. The massive earthquake in Chile on Feb. 27t changed those plans. We remain in Ushuaia until March 6th
- March 6 – Flew on a charter arranged by Lindblad to Miami
- March 7-13 – Miami
- March 13 – Return to Bonaire from Miami via Atlanta – back home again
2009-12-26 – 2010-01-02
- Charleston, South Carolina for Renaissance Weekend
2009-11-15 – 2009-11-28
- November 15-23 – Washington D.C.
- November 23-28 – New Hampshire
2009-10-12 – 2009-10-28
- October 12-20 – Berlin, Germany
- October 20-23 – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- October 23-26 – Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- October 26-28 – Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2009-08-15 – 2009-09-12
- August 15-17 – Dallas, Texas
- August 17-18 – Texarkana, Texas
- August 18-19 – Fort Smith, Arkansas
- August 19-26 – Branson, Missouri
- August 26-28 – Little Rock, Arkansas
- August 28-31 – Memphis, Tennessee
- August 31 – September 4 – Nashville, Tennessee
- September 4-6 – Chattanooga, Tennessee
- September 6-8 – Braselton, Georgia
- September 8-12 – Atlanta (Buckhead), Georgia
2009-06-20 – 2009-07-04
- A trip starting with a week in Chicago, Illinois, involving fine dining at Moto and Alinea, touring Chicago, shopping on Magnificent Mile, and just reuniting, as Jake has been away from home for much of the year so far on business. Followed with a week in Dallas where Jake was busy with work for much of the week. Celebrated Jake & Linda’s 20th anniversary on this trip.
2009-02-07 – 2009-02-21
- The American Southwest. We flew into Las Vegas, and drove through three blizzards to Sedona, Arizona for a couple of days before spending just over a week in Tucson, Arizona to see friends and attend Renaissance Weekend. We finished our trip with a drive to Winslow, and then on to Taos, New Mexico to enjoy some snow.
2009-11-11 – 2009-12-04
- South America! We started off for a few days in the Ecuadoran mountains in Quito, then spent a week aboard the National Geographic Polaris in the Galapagos islands, followed by a week in the Incan Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu in Peru, topped off with a visit to Ica, Peru and a flyover of the Nasca Drawings. After a couple more days in Lima we headed back home.
- November 11-15 – Quito, Ecuador
- November 15-22 – Galapagos Islands
- November 23-25 – Sacred Valley, Peru
- November 25-26 – Machu Picchu
- November 26-28 – Cusco, Peru
- November 28-29 – Lima, Peru
- November 29-30 – Ica, Peru and Nazca Lines overflight
- November 30-December 3 – Lima, Peru
- December 3-4 – Quito, Ecuador
- December 4 – Return home to Bonaire
2008-10-05 – 2008-11-01
- The Traveling Richters explored the Canadian Maritime provinces of Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and New Brunswick for the first two weeks, northern Maine for a few more days, had a week’s worth of family reunions, and ended with explorations of some of Massachusett’s historical sites, including Plimoth Plantation and Salem (as in “The Salem Witch Trials”). The kids ended the week with braces courtesy of our Boston-based orthodonists, and we enjoyed great meals at O Ya and L’Espalier.
2008-09-05 – 2008-09-23
- Jake and Krystyana went to Costa Rica for two weeks of Spanish lessons and exploration of Costa Rica’s nature with a wrap-up in Miami
2008-08-17 – 2008-08-31
- The Traveling Richters Explore New York City
2008-07-19 – 2008-07-25
- Jake in San Jose, California on business
2008-06-21 – 2008-06-28
- Texas to see Cyndi Lauper and the True Colors tour, experience The Alamo after hours, and learn a bit more about Texas history
2008-04-18 – 2008-05-23
- Spain, Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, Spain, France, England, France
- April 18, 2008 – Bonaire to Barcelona (arrive on April 19th)
- April 19-22, 2008 – Barcelona, Spain
- April 22-23, 2008 – Granada, Spain
- April 23-25, 2008 – Andalusia, Gibraltar, and Ronda
- April 25-28, 2008 – Sevilla, Spain
- April 28-May 1, 2008 – Marrakech, Morocco; Atlas mountains
- May 2, 2008 – Casablanca & Rabat, Morocco
- May 3, 2008 – Fes, Morocco
- May 4, 2008 – Meknes & Volubilis, Morocco
- May 5, 2008 – Portimao, Portugal
- May 6, 2008 – Lisbon, Portugal
- May 7, 2008 – Oporto, Portugal
- May 8, 2008 – Santiago de Compostella, Spain
- May 9-10, 2008 – At Sea
- May 11, 2008 – St. Malo / Mont St. Michel, France
- May 12, 2008 – Dock in Portsmouth, go to London
- May 12-15, 2008 – London, United Kingdom
- May 15-22, 2008 – Paris, France
- May 23, 2008 – Back on Bonaire
2008-03-02 – 2008-03-08
- Linda, Krystyana, and Bas visit Jake while he’s working in San Diego
2008-02-03 – 2008-04-01
- Jake in San Diego (via Boston on the way up, and via Washington, D.C. on way back)
2008-01-20 – 2008-01-27
- Linda and Krystyana go to New Hampshire for business and to visit Krystyana’s grandparents
2008-01-11 – 2008-01-16
- Jake, Krystyana, and Bas go to Washington, D.C. to visit museums and the National Archives, as well as take care of some business. Return via Miami.
2007-12-16 – 2007-12-19
- Jake visits his orthodontist in Boston
2007-10-20 – 2007-11-13
- Grand Pacific Voyage for all four Richters:
- October 20, 2007 – Bonaire to Los Angeles
- October 22, 2007 – Los Angeles to Tahiti
- October 24, 2007 – Start of an 11 day cruise to Hawaii
- November 4, 2007 – Arrive in Honolulu, fly to Maui
- November 6, 2007 – Maui to Hawaii (the Big Island)
- November 11, 2007 – Hawaii to Oahu
- November 13, 2007 – Oahu to Los Angeles
- November 15, 2007 – Los Angeles to Fiji (arrive Nov. 17)
- December 4, 2007 – Fiji to Los Angeles, then Santa Barbara
- December 10, 2007 – Los Angeles to Miami
- December 13, 2007 – Miami to Bonaire (home)
2007-10-06 – 2007-10-10
- Jake in New York City on business
2007-09-21 – 2007-09-25
- Jake and Krystyana go to Texas to pack up offices there and move them to New Hampshire. Spend a day exploring JFK history and museum in Dallas.
2007-08-27 – 2007-09-12
- The Traveling Richters start off with a week in Monterey, California, meet up with Dutch friends Martin & Angela (see photos here), attend Renaissance Weekend, and then go to Las Vegas to attend Photoshop World, returning with an overnight in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
2007-06-22 – 2007-08-02
- The Traveling Richters started off with a wedding in San Francisco, then go to Tucson, Arizona to meet with their new home schooling coach/teacher and visit a couple of zoos/parks. From there it was travel to Calgary, Alberta (Canada) and thence on to Banff for Renaissance Weekend. After that, we flew to San Diego to visit with family, the San Diego Zoo, and sleep over in the Wild Animal Park. Then we spent nearly a week in Los Angeles/Santa Monica while Jake covered the E3 video game conference for TechWatch, and from there it was New Hampshire for time with Linda’s family and a week at a camp on a pond.
Earlier trips in 2007 included a couple of visits to New Hampshire while Linda was getting knee replacement surgery there, and earlier a week in Santa Fe New Mexico to attend Renaissance Weekend as well as studying the history of American Indians, including the Pueblo Indians, and visiting the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum followed by a stay in San Juan to see historical sites.
In 2006 Jake did a solo trip at the end of the year to Tokyo and Taiwan on business (photos and story here). Other trips included a family trip to Washington, D.C. for ten solid days of visiting museums and historical sites, over a week in the Ixtapa area of Mexico where in addition to learning that Club Med was no longer “us” we got to see how local agriculture was cultivated, bread was made in wood burning ovens, and how various people lived in rural areas in Mexico.
In 2006 we also visited Santa Barbara for a Renaissance Weekend, after which we went to Lake Tahoe where the kids learned to ski and snowboard, ending with a visit to Jake’s offices in Marshall, Texas. And let’s not forget a shopping trip to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale, the annual visit to New Hampshire and Linda’s family there, two and a half weeks in Great Britain and Scotland, a trip for Jake and Krystyana to visit Jake’s parents in Prague and family in Brno in the Czech Republic, and Jake and Linda’s getaway to Quebec City for almost a week.
And for 2006, that’s on top of a handful of business trips to New York and other destinations Jake had to take.
And we won’t even go into 2005…